Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Sweatshirt to Skirt Refashion

 Hello Readers. I love soft, cozy casual clothes and when I found 2 matching sweatshirts in my hand-me-down pile I thought I could make a whole outfit out of them.

Before and after.

I folded the sweatshirt in half to cut it, This way one side would be the same as the other. I marked the sweatshirt with soap where I wanted to cut it. I cut the sides higher to avoid the sleeves.

I cut the sweatshirt in a curved shape. 

I had a nice skirt with a curved hem. The waistband of the sweatshirt is now the waist of my skirt.
 
I cut a small slit in the inside of the waistband.
 
I pushed elastic through the opening I made. I had attached a safety pin to the front of the elastic so I would have something to push through the waistband.
 
When I got the elastic all the way around the waistband I stitched the ends of the elastic together. 
 
The elastic would keep the skirt up at my waist. It was in place and now I wanted to sew that opening closed. 

I used a zigzag stitch to closed this. I wanted the ugly tan elastic hidden. 

This is a look at the zigzag stitches from the outside. You can see the stitches but it is fine with me. 
 
This is a really soft cozy outfit. This might be my Thanksgiving Day outfit. It is so comfortable and elastic waistbands are good for a big dinner. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 

***Year End Update- This is casual and cozy and I love it. I have worn it together and separate.





No comments: