Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Red Sweater

 Hello Readers. It is February. I wanted to pick a theme for each month this year and this month is going to be red and pink. I got inspired by Valentine's Day. I pulled everything from my stash that was red or pink. This red cashmere sweater had gotten a little tight (Thanks Corona snacks!) and I wanted a looser fit. 

 
 Before and after

This dress was something I bought a few years ago because I loved the fabric so much. I never liked wearing it but I couldn't get rid of it. It was too pretty. The tight mock turtleneck did not feel good. The turtleneck made it seem like it should be for cooler weather. But that did not work either because it was also a very thin and clingy dress.

 
I decided to cut it up and use it to make the red sweater fit better. I cut the hem off and put it aside. The hemline had a curve to it. That means it won't sew into my sweater perfectly straight. I can use it on curved areas. You will see more about this later. Let's keep going.

I cut long strips of fabric from the dress. I cut them vertically from the dress so they would be straight.

I cut the sides of the sweater open from the wrist to the waistband.

I used the straight pieces to fill in the side seams. This will add some extra space that I really need. And it adds a lot of interest to the sweater.
 
 Here is a look inside and the new seams where I sewed in the floral fabric. I used a serger but you could also use a regular machine and use a zigzag stitch. Iron the seams if needed.
 
I used a folded over piece of fabric to make wrist cuffs. I wanted to use as much of the floral fabric as possible and cuffs will let me push up the sleeves if I want to.

I used the hem fabric to make the curve around the neck. I just wanted it to peek out.

I liked how the blue floral fabric added some color and fun to the sweater. The extra room is just what I needed to make this sweater more comfortable.

 
I was done with my sweater and I got to use that pretty floral fabric. It was not easy to show the parts of the sweater that I wanted to show. So, here is a weird and unprofessionally posed photo. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
*Year End Note From Chickie- This was a favorite right away because I love red, I love cashmere, and I love that floral fabric. Still wearing this and loving it.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good idea. Thank you!

I Can Work With That said...

You are very welcome. This is a still favorite sweater for me.
Chickie