Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Dress to 2 Piece Set

 Hello Readers. This red and black patterned dress seemed great for my red and pink theme in honor of Valentine's Day. It was a little long and frumpy on me but it was really nice fabric.

Before and after.

This dress was nice but not very flattering. We can do something more fun with this great dress.

I started cutting. I cut the top of the dress off. There was a built in waistband and I left that attached to the skirt.

I pinned the sides to get a better fit. I also made made 2 tucks in the front just under the bust. The tucks are just narrow triangles. Taking some of the excess from the sides and front of this little shirt will improve the fit.

This is what the tucks look like from the outside. The fit was better but I needed to finish the cut edges.

I used my serger on the edges to finish the edges and the light colored thread was perfect to break up the red patterned fabric a little. 

I added an elastic waistband to the inside of the waistband of the skirt. The elastic will keep the skirt up high on my waist. The skirt already had a waistband so I stitched the elastic to that waistband on the inside of the skirt.

You can see here how I cut the dress shorter and took the sides in to change the shape and style.

I didn't hem the skirt, I used the serger there too. 

I cut the edge of the neckline off the top so I could use the serger to make all the edges match through the whole outfit.

I liked the light color stitches as trim. My new 2 piece dress is more casual and fun. I wanted a cropped length little shirt but I also wanted a high waist on the skirt so no one could see my mom tummy. 

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
*Year End Note From Chickie- This outfit is fun and comfortable. It's still a go-to outfit.












2 comments:

KD said...

Love this refashion: color, print, trim, dress style! If that's a wrinkle-free knit, even better!

I Can Work With That said...

Thank you so much. I was happy with how it turned out too.
Chickie