Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Make a Belt for My Trenchcoat

 Hello Readers. I am in the middle my red and pink Valentine series for this month. I like red any time of year so let's take a look at this great red trench coat. 

 
Before and after.

This red trench coat was a really fun find at a recent clothes swap. I really like this color red and this trench coat was a petite! That means the sleeves fit me with out any alterations needed. I was super excited about that.The only problem was that the belt was missing. I really wanted a belt. And I wanted it to be a matching belt. I could have thrown a different belt on with this coat but that isn't really what I wanted.

I was going to have to make my own belt if I wanted one. I cut the coat about 3 inches shorter. I just cut the bottom off. This will make the coat a little shorter but I am OK with that. 
 
When I was done cutting the coat I had a piece of the outer fabric and a piece of the nylon lining. I didn't need the lining so I got rid of that. Let's focus on the outer fabric.

I ironed the long narrow piece of outer fabric. I folded it under 2 twice and pressed it down. That made sure the cut edge was hidden. It also made a thicker stronger belt for this coat.  

I stitched the belt along the edges so it would stay folded together forever. I wasn't trying to be creative or invent something never seen before. I was just trying to make a traditional looking belt. I think it worked.

Look at the color match! It is perfect because I used the same fabric. No other fabric would have matched this well. I hemmed the coat at the bottom edge where I had cut the belt fabric off. 

This trench coat was perfect for Valentine's Day. 
 
It was also a great match for my distressed Valentine t-shirt from a couple years ago. (Tutorial for this fun t-shirt here.) Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
*Year End Note From Chickie- I love this red trench, I just wore this, it is a winner in my book.

2 comments:

KD said...

Nice! Red is a great coat color for dreary rainy day, all four seasons of the year!

I Can Work With That said...

I thought the red was so cheerful too.
Chickie