Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Odds & Ends I Found in the Sewing Pile

 Hello Readers. I do a lot of sewing and refashion projects and sometimes I cut clothes apart. I save the pieces for later. I can be forgetful and when I find the piece later I am always surprised.

Cleaning out my sewing stash led me to these gems.

 This cotton skirt was very classic in shape and style. I liked it immediately.
 
It seemed to be cut off a dress. I has some trouble remembering what happened to the top of the dress but the skirt was great. It just had a rough cut edge that needed to be finished.
 
I used my serger to keep that cut edge from fraying more. A zigzag stitch would also work well for this.
 
 There wasn't much length to work with. I turned that serged edge under and stitched it down with my sewing machine.
 
The skirt had a 1/2 inch waistband now. It wasn't wide but it seemed to work well. It has buttons down the front to get it on and off. That fix at the waistband was all this skirt needed. How long has it been waiting to be fixed? (I hate to think.) 
 
I also found this slip dress in the refashion stash. I wasn't sure when I had picked it up or where I got it. I loved the copper color. The top button loop was broken so I would need to fix that.
 
 I decided to sew the V-neck closed. It would feel more secure that way. 
 
The arm holes were too low on me. Half my bra would be hanging out with it like this.

I decided to fix that problem by shortening the straps from the back. I opened the back, shortened the middle...

...and sewed it shut again.
 
Fixing the dress in the back was easy and the arm hole is much higher now. The fit is much better.

The slip dress is the perfect slip under this cotton skirt. 


 These 2 really work well with each other. I added a sweater to keep warm. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

***Year End Update- I loved these pieces and wore them but they are both very thin and are better for warm weather. It is cold and wet here in fall and winter.






No comments: