Saturday, September 21, 2024

Make Press-On Nails Last

 Hello Readers. I love the look of a manicure but I don't want to pay for a manicure every week or 2. (I also don't like to have people handle my hands like that. That is a personal issue though.) I like to use the inexpensive press-on nails from the drug store. But will they stay on? I have found a method that gets me 10 days of wear or more. Let me show you how I do it. 

Let's make these nails stay put!
 
 When you open the package this is what you will find. The nails have adhesive on them. (I don't want to deal with messy glue so I don't use that type of nails.) There is a little direction pack that has an orange stick, an alcohol pad, and a small emery board.
 
I cut my nails as short as I can. The shorter the nails are the better the fake nails stay on for me. I don't cut so short that it hurts, I just trim as short as is comfortable.
 
I try to do my nails after a shower so that my hands are clean and my cuticles are soft and ready to be pushed back. I don't really use the included orange stick. 

I like this larger rounded cuticle stick. (Similar here.) I think this round shape is easier to use and fits the shape of the cuticle better. 
 
The little emery board is cute but honestly, I don't use it either. 
 
I like to used this 100 grit emery board. It is rougher than the little pink one. I can use it on the ends of my nails.

I use it to gently rough up the whole surface of each nail. 

I admit that it doesn't look great at this point. It is sort of a mess at this stage. The rough nail surface really seems to adhere to the press-on nail much better than a smooth nail surface. 

Now it is time for the alcohol pad. I use this one or a cotton pad with rubbing alcohol would be fine. It is just to rub off the dust from all that filing and it removes any natural oils, moisturizer, creams and such from your nails. 

I just wipe the nails and that's it. 

Now, it is time to just wait. If you just washed your hands, or showered or had any moisture in your nails it will cause the adhesive to fail. The nails need to air dry for at least an hour. 

It is time to apply the press-on nails. I peel the plastic cover off the underside of the nails.

If the nail is a bit rough at the tip, I just file it a little.

That is it. My nails are done and will stay put really well. 

I try to wear gloves when I clean because I think the chemicals are not good for my skin and because I think cleaning chemicals seem to dissolve the adhesive in the nails. 

I also wear latex gloves if I am gardening and dirt would get into the little nooks and crannies around my nails.
 Usually I just go about my day and don't really worry about my nails or give them special treatment. They really stay on well. Thanks for reading along








 
 



 
 
 





No comments: