Thursday, July 27, 2023

Mending Silk

 Hello Readers. This silk shirt I found in England had a tear in it. I think I am the one who made the tear. I was also the one who had to fix it. I wasn't sure how to fix it so I made it up as I went along.

Before and after.

I found this silk shirt while traveling and I thought it was so pretty. The silk would also be nice and light in the summer heat. I brought it home and washed it. I think I might have washed it on a regular cycle with other clothes and not in a delicate cycle. Whatever I did, it tore.

It tore right on the design in front. I wanted to save this shirt but I wasn't sure how.
 
I almost did some embroidery stitching over the floral design to strengthen it. But I hate hand sewing so much. I couldn't bear it. 

I decided to use my sewing machine. I tried to match the thread to the colors in the design.

I tried to stitch over the tears (I found a second one.) I also decided to try and reinforce the whole applique. I tried to mimic the design and sew along the shapes of the leaves and flowers. It feels a lot stronger and I think it will buy me a few years of wear. As long as I wash it gently. 

Close up view! Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

***Year End Update- This shirt was pretty and I am glad I could fix it. The silk is so nice to wear in summer and the floral design really appealed to me.







No comments: