Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Making a No-Sew Stool Slipcover

 Hello Readers. I had a little seat at my desk and it got taken. It was taken by one of my kids for their room so I let it go. I wanted a new one and I had this collapsible stool just sitting in the trunk of my car. It works at my desk but it's not cute at all. As usual, I didn't want to spend money so let's make this unusual stool as cute as we can.

Before and after some easy changes.
 
This stool has been in the trunk of my car for a few years. It has a carrying handle and is all one piece.   I think this would be great for someone that wanted to go out but couldn't stand for a long time. It would be easy to carry along. I have not been using it so let's give it a real home.
 
I wanted to show how the stool opens and closes. You spin and pull at the same time and it stands up. (This is not an ad but you can find this on Amazon.) You spin and push it closed just as easily. Some engineer/designer had fun inventing this.
 
You don't need a weird stool like I had, any round stool with a seat will work.
 
I wanted to make my stool a little more comfortable to sit on. I put this cushion on top. It had elastic around the underside to hold it in place. This isn't required, I just like to be comfortable and this made it much nicer. 

I searched in my sewing closet and found some fabric that coordinate with my room. I found this red and white fabric and went with it. The fabric needs to be one piece and it needs to cover the stool to the floor with 6-8 inches of excess all around. The taller the stool, the more fabric you will need.

I found some coordinating ribbon in my sewing stash too. I needed about 2-3 feet of ribbon. Anything that you can tie around the stool will work, string, twine, thick yarn, a shoelace, a belt...

I used the ribbon to tie the cloth around the stool, under the seat. I pulled the ribbon tight and this pulled the fabric in. This is why I needed extra fabric, when the fabric is pulled in, it pulls up some of the fabric length. 

Then I put the stool up on something so I could cut the fabric around the bottom. I wanted the fabric to just touch the floor. My stool is not pretty so I just wanted to cover the whole thing.

I used these pinking shears to cut the bottom of the fabric. These scissors cut the fabric in a zigzag and it helps keep it from fraying. The zigzag cut will keep the fabric looking nice without any sewing at the bottom edge.

I cut the fabric all around the stool and tried to make it even all the way around. It doesn't have to be perfect. The gathers of the skirt will hide some imperfections. (Perfection doesn't exist anyway.)

Here is my stool. I am sitting on this stool right now as I type this. It is great for my little desk. The desk is actually my late Grandmom's sewing table. I sit at her table and write this blog about sewing. She would love that. (After I explained what a blog is.) Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.
 
 ***Year End Update- I still use this stool often. It is in my sewing room now.












No comments: