Friday, November 26, 2021

It's a Funny Story

 Hello Readers. In the beginning of the year I decided to try and refashion for free all year. I wasn't going to buy anything, even from thrift stores. All the clothes and trims, zippers and hardware had to be from my stash or free somehow. I was only going to buy needles and thread. It is amazing but so far I have done it. I have gotten hand-me-downs. I have worked through my stash. And, strangely enough, I actually found some clothes hanging on a fence when I took my youngest to the dentist. 

Before and after.
 
 Does this happen to other people? Is it just me? There were various clothes hanging nicely on hangers and of course I saw the sign that said "FREE". I took the jeans you see hanging second from the left. 
 
I also got 3 pairs of Banana Republic dress pants. New.With.Tags! I forgot to remove the tags before putting the pants in the washer. Oops!
 
I took my son to his dental appointment and then I took these pants down from the fence, went home and put them in the washer. I am all about the "free" life style but I wash everything right away! Like immediately. Warm water, soap, extra rinse. Every time. 
 
Well, let's talk about today's project. It was quick because I am a crazy busy woman lately. (I had to make pumpkin pies!) I liked these straight leg jeans because they fit pretty well in the hips but they were too long. I did some cutting and hemming. 
 
 
I also made 2 tucks in the back of the waistband to get rid of the gaping waistband in the back that some times happens with jeans. It wasn't a huge change but it is the small things that make you feel good in your clothes.

 Here is the outside view of one of the the tucks I made. .

 
This fabric sample was from my mother-in-law's stash. I wanted to make another scarf. I wanted to use the fabric and it was a small piece. A scarf is all I could think of.

I cut the edging off the fabric. It was nylon thread to keep the edges from fraying. I wanted to make fringe so, it was in my way.  

I pulled the treads off the edges a few at a time until I had fringe all the way around. 
 
 
The threads piled up quickly. It took quite a while.
 

That is it for today. Go make something fun for yourself. 
 
***Chickie's Year End Review- The jeans and scarf were fine basics but didn't change my life.



2 comments:

jenny_o said...

Huge marks to you for getting through the year holding to your commitment. That's a pretty amazing accomplishment. I enjoy your refashions so much, partly because of your simple instructions and encouragment, and partly because of your wonderful, gentle sense of humour. It's a pleasure to read your posts, and you've given me so many good ideas. I don't always get around to commenting, or do it in a timely way, but I read everything you post. In case I don't get back for a bit, I wish you and your family a pleasant holiday season and a good year in 2022.

I Can Work With That said...

Thank you so much for the comment Jenny! I appreciate it so much.
Have a wonderful holiday and a happy 2022 as well.
Chickie