Friday, November 19, 2021

The Fabric Sample Scarf

 Hello Readers. My mother-in-law gave me tons of fabric over the years. She worked at a fabric store that specialized in home decor fabrics. It is great for making curtains and sometimes I can find a way to make clothing too. She passed a lot of fabric samples on to me as well and today's project was made with one of those sample pieces.

 
Before and after. 

 

This orange and green fabric was wool or a wool blend. (It photographs a little red, but it is really a dark orange. It seemed perfect for fall. It was really small and a piece had been cut out of it. What could I make out of it? I had an idea. A scarf.

I cut the uneven side off so that I had an even square. Well, it was almost a square but not quite.
 
  Then I cut this edge off. This edge was to keep it from fraying at the fabric store but I want it to fray. That's right, I want fraying. I am actually going to make it fray.

I made a tight stitch all the way around the square. I wanted to stop the fraying at some point if it got out of control. I don't know if I needed to do this. It seemed later that it was not necessary.

I just started pulling the threads out so I had fringe. It took a long time but it wasn't difficult. 

 
After a while I had some nice fringe on all 4 sides of my scarf. 
 
It went with this great green dress really well. (It has pockets!) This dress is loose and that's OK. I just wanted a little more shape at the waist.

I marked a new side seam in soap. You can use chalk or whatever marking tool you like.

I used my serger to make these new side seams. 

You can see the new shape in the midsection and it looks great with the scarf. 
 
 
I added a jacket because it is fall. 
 
I was happy with the sample scarf and the new dress. I think I just found my Thanksgiving Day outfit. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 

***Chickie's Year End Review-I love this dress more than I expected. The green was great for Christmas season. I still don't know if the scarf is orange or green. haha

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't use soap as a fabric marker unless you are going to launder it. Face and body soap have oils in them. I discovered this the hard way when I thought it would be a good idea to mark silk material with it.

I Can Work With That said...

OH NO! I have never thought of that. Good point. It might leave a mark.
Thanks for sharing that.
Chickie