Friday, November 5, 2021

The Indecisive Dress

 Hello Readers. Decisions are hard right? We can all be indecisive at times. What should you do when you can't decide what to do with a refashion? I say refashion the item a little at a time. 

 I had a great dress and it fit well but it was really long on me. It had a fun polka dot pattern at the bottom where I would need to hem it. There was plenty of extra fabric to play with.

I decided to make sleeves from all that extra fabric at the bottom. I was going to hem the dress anyway so I could use that fabric to make sleeves. I used a shirt as a sleeve pattern and traced the sleeve shapes in chalk. I just tried to see if I could do it.

The extra polka dots at the shoulders added a little interest to the neckline area.

My sleeves turned out really well.

I shortened the dress a little and I still felt a little frumpy. This wasn't a great length for me because I am so short. That's OK, I can try again.

I went a little shorter in length. I liked this length much better. But what if you don't want a dress?

What about a tunic length top to wear with leggings? The dress had a waist tie that I tied in front for this look.

I kept going and made a shirt that was more office wear/business casual. I know a lot of people are going back to work in person now. That means work clothes. This top was great for work.

You can see each cut I made in the dress here. It was fun to try each length and I learned a lot about what I like as I was sewing and trying the dress on over and over.

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 

***Chickie's Year End Review-This shirt is still going strong.

2 comments:

KD said...

I think you finally nailed it! All along, that dress wanted to be a blouse!

I Can Work With That said...

There were so many possibilities in that one dress.
Chickie