Friday, November 12, 2021

Sweater>Vest

Hello Readers. This simple cardigan is not very exciting, Let's make it into a cropped vest.  

I started with this purple cardigan sweater. It was a simple style and I thought it was a nice pop of color combined with this long shapeless plaid shirt. If I made it into a cropped or short vest, then more of that plaid shirt would show. And the vest will make the outfit less shapeless.

I started by cutting the sleeves off the sweater. I made my cut on the outside of the armhole seam.  I left that arm seam in place so that the armhole did not stretch out and get out of hand. I just need to get rid of the sleeve, not the seam.


 I turned the edge in and stitched it down with my machine. 

My next step was to make the new vest more narrow around the waist. I made new side seams using a zigzag stitch. 

The zigzag stitch will keep the new side seam from fraying when I cut off the excess fabric. 

I tried the vest on and realized it needed to be shorter. I folded the waistband up and pinned it. I stitched all the way around the waistband, also using a zigzag stitch.

I cut the excess fabric off and I had a shorter fitted vest. I top stitched the new waist seam and ironed  my new vest. 

My new vest was ready to go. The vest gave some shape to the loose white plaid shirt. It added a little fun color to the outfit. 

This vest will be a nice little layer as it gets colder outside. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 

***Chickie's Year End Review-I like this sweater vest a lot. I haven't had one in 20 years or so.




No comments: