Wednesday, November 10, 2021

The Sporty Sweater

 Hello Readers. You know already that I like to refashion clothing. I like to make it fun but usually I am trying to make the clothes fit better too. This sweater was a situation like that. 

My daughter gave me this sweater and I liked it. It was simple and white would match anything. But these sleeves! My hands have disappeared and the overall  length is a bit long on me.

I had some bits and pieces to help me refashion this white sweater.

I cut the cuffs and waistband off this blue sweatshirt. It was a little too short on me.

When I was ready to sew I cut about 3 inches off the sweater sleeve and put the blue cuff around the sleeve. I put the raw cut edges on top of each other. After I sewed around the sleeve edges I flipped the blue cuff down. (Don't cut the sweater until you are ready to add the cuffs on. The sweater will fray, you want to sew it right away.)

I used a wide zigzag stitch for this part. I wanted to connect the sweater and the wrist cuff and close those cut edges at the same time. A serger would work for this too. I don't know why I didn't use mine.

Here is the cuff connected to the sweater. The zigzag stitch on the edge will keep the cut sweater from fraying. It will also keep the whole cuff together.

Here is the cuff flipped down. This is how it will look when I wear it.

I attached the waistband in the same way that I attached the cuffs. You can top stitch these seams if you want. That would help make it lay flat. I just stitched right at the seam on the outside of the shirt. I used a straight stitch for this part. Sometimes this is called "stitch in the ditch". It can make a seam look better.

I attached the gray hood by sewing along the neck of the sweater. I didn't cut anything. I just stitched the hood on. I made sure the hood was inside the sweater and stitched over both of them.

My new sweater had shorter sleeves and a shorter body. I liked the little pops of color I added. It makes the sweater more fun and the hood has a sporty look.

This sweater could easily be cropped shorter if that is the look you want. That look isn't for me. 3 babies over 9 lbs came out of this stomach so, I am going to keep it all covered. But you do you!


Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for herself. 

***Chickie's Year End Review-This sweater is a strong favorite from 2021.

No comments: