Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Poofy Dress Week #1 (Filling in a Low Neckline)

 Hello Readers. I am in a poofy dress frenzy. I wanted to refashion and wear all of the poofy dresses so the dresses on my refashion rack are all getting worked on this week. This green dress is a wonderful cotton eyelet with a cotton lining. I hate nylon linings so I was loving this dress already.

Before and after.

I found this dress at a clothes swap and I love green so I liked it right away. It was a bit long on me, I felt a little lost in there. I look a little like a Hobbit. And it was a little low cut on me as well. If I lean over, all my bits and pieces are visible. I didn't like that.

It was new with tags at the clothes swap! That is always a fun bonus. 
 
I cut about 8-10 inches off the length of the outer layer with my sharpest scissors. It was really long on me and it will look better on me in a shorter length. (I saved this fabric for later.)
 
And the inner layer. The inner layer should be an inch or so shorter than the outer layer so that it doesn't hang out anywhere along the hemline. 
 
I hemmed the outer layer with matching thread. I just turned the cut edge under twice and sewed it down.
 
I hemmed the inner layer the same way.
 
I wasn't quite done. I wanted to fill in the V-neck that was so low on me. I had all the fabric I had cut off the dress earlier. I needed that fabric now. I used the excess fabric to fill in the V-neck a little. 
 
I cut a triangular shape from the extra fabric. I wanted to sew it into the dress and fill in the neckline. The long side of the triangle is actually the original hem of the dress. That saved time because it already had a hem on that edge.
 
I put the triangle inside the dress with the right side facing out and sewed on top of the stitching that was already made up the neckline of the dress. I held the fabric in place snugly. (You could use pins if you want. I usually stab myself so if I can hold the fabric in my hand, that is what I do.) Sewing over that stitching with matching thread will make it look like it was always there. 
 
My new dress was done. The new neckline looks nice and neat and it makes me feel more secure and the new length looks great too. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

 
 

 

 

 

 
 
 

 





No comments: