Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Bassinet Sheets to Pajamas

 Hello Readers. I was given a big pile of the cutest bassinet sheets. They were soft cotton knit, like t-shirt material.  I don't have a bassinet or a baby so I could do something else with these sheets. I decided to make pajamas.

 Who needed new pajamas? Me!

A sweet wonderful on-line sewing friend @brightpracticalfabricart sent me a collection of cotton knit bassinet sheets made by Poppi & Max

These are a soft knit cotton, like a t-shirt. I first noticed the giraffe and it really caught my eye. (My mom loved giraffes and they make me think of her.) This is a really pretty giraffe. I cut the elastic from the outer edge of each bassinet sheet and then I thought about what to make. 
 
I realized I needed summer pajamas and since I am a hot sleeper, tank tops would be great. And they don't use a large amount of fabric. I had smallish pieces of fabric to work with here so this seemed like a good plan. I used the Luna Pattern by Helen's Closet Patterns. You can download it online and it is such an easy sewing pattern to use.
 
  I extended the length of the body as far as I could with the length of the bassinet sheets. I wanted a longish shirt.
 
 I could get one tank top from 2 sheets. One sheet for the front of the shirt and one for the back. 
 
I made matching shorts to go with each shirt. 
 
 I used other shorts as a pattern. And I kind of made it up as I went along. That wasn't  perfect because the fabric was different in stretch.
 
I added a center piece to make the shorts wider. That worked really well. The next pair I cut bigger and wider so I did not need to do this.
 
I used elastic for the waistband that I had it on hand. I wanted to use items I had. I used blue thread in my serger for the edges of the shirt and legs of the shorts. I liked the contrast of colors.

I made 4 sets of pajamas, but these giraffes are definitely my favorite. I used pink elastic and white thread for this set. The giraffe is the star of the show. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.


 

 

 

 
 
 
 
 

 



No comments: