Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Pants to Jacket

 Hello Readers. I thought these light weight pants would be great for the pool or beach this summer. But then I looked inside. I saw something I hate. A nylon lining. What good are lightweight cotton pants if they have a hot nylon lining? I thought about it and decided that the pants would became a lightweight jacket.

Before and after.

You can see the lining hanging out of the pant leg on the left. Nylon is the worst. I had to get rid of it.You can also see the pretty lace trim at the hemline. That was what made me want to do something to salvage these pants.

I cut the waistband off the pants. I wouldn't need that. Removing the waistband made it easy to get the lining out. 

Goodbye nylon lining!

I cut the pant legs apart and removed the center section. What I wanted was straight panels of fabric. That would be the front and back of each pant leg. 

I wanted one full pant leg to be the back of my jacket. I also wanted one pant leg split apart for the 2 front pieces of my jacket. This looks kind of shapeless and boxy but the drape of the fabric will give it some shape. 

I used my serger to put the shoulder seams together and the side seams together. I left openings in the sides for armholes. I used the serger around the armholes to keep the fabric from fraying. 

To finish the edges I turned them under and sewed them down with my sewing machine. 

I did not need to hem the bottom because the hem was already done. I liked the lace along the hemline. Thanks for reading along, now go make something for yourself.









No comments: