Thursday, August 3, 2023

The Cherry Dress

 Hello Readers. I found this super fun dress at a thrift store when I was out with my daughter. It was so pretty and the cherries were so lively. I was sold. 

Before and after.

Somehow this amazing dress had taken on a matronly look on me. I'm pretty short and  this dress was just too long and it really killed the fun vibe. 

The thrift store is called "The Resourceful Woman" in Leesburg, VA. It operates to help fund resources for women in crisis. They had a great selection and they are doing great work too.

I cut about 6 inches off this dress. It felt like a lot but it had to be done. 

This satin fabric was so slippery that it was difficult to cut. It kept moving around while I was cutting. I used my serger to finish the edge.

The serger made the edge less choppy and it gave me an edge that was less slippery.

I folded the edge under and stitched it down with my sewing machine. The serger stitches made this fabric easy to work with.

I liked the new length. The dress fit everywhere else so I didn't change anything else about this dress. 
 
This was just a new hem but I loved the results. Thanks for reading along, now go make something for yourself.
 
 ***Year End Update- This dress was so fun and I got compliments on it from friends and strangers when I wore it. I have never had so much of a reaction to a piece of clothing.

 









No comments: