Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Add Bedside Storage With a Table Runner

 Hello Readers. When you are snuggled up in bed you never want to get out. You try to put everything you might need within reach from your cozy spot in bed. No one has endless space next to their bed so I had an idea to expand the storage. All you need is a table runner. And a little sewing.

We can all use more storage right?

To make this project you will need a table runner. Any color or fabric will work I found this one at a thrift store recently but they are available in the housewares department of most stores.

What I want to do is fold each end over onto the runner and stitch the end down to make pockets on each end.

I wanted my pockets to be 10 inches deep so I measured my folded over fabric and clipped it in place. You can make the pockets any size you want. This is actually going on my son's night stand and some of his picture books are pretty big. I wanted deep pockets to hold some books. If you want to have small pockets for the TV remote or something like that, make the pockets smaller. Do what ever works for you and your storage needs.

I stitched along the side of my table runner and sewed the layers of fabric together. 

When I got to the top of my pocket I stitched back and forth a few times to reinforce it. 

On one pocket I stitched up the middle of the pocket so that I could have 2 smaller pockets. 

Here is a look at the pockets.

Here is what the runner looks like on the night stand. It can hold some small books and...

Some big books.

It really cleared off my son's night stand. At least for now. He's probably going to collect more stuff on this table but that's life. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

***Year End Update- This is really useful and I made one for my desk too.









No comments: