Saturday, May 13, 2023

Protecting Your Table Decor With Plastic

 Hello Readers. I wanted to use my table for more than just eating. I wanted to decorate it and use it to display 2 dimensional items like photos, pictures or maps. This was really easy to do and adds a bit of fun to a table. Using plastic protects whatever you decide to display or decorate your table with.

Whatever you are displaying on your table can be protected with plastic sheeting. That opens up so many table display options. Precious family photos, priceless children's artwork and even educational or instructional items can all be safely displayed.

I bought this plastic material a Walmart because it was the heaviest plastic I could find. It came with a sheet of white paper layered between it that had all kids of suggestions about what you could make with it. It was thick plastic and had a nice amount of weight to it. That would help it stay in place on the table. This isn't thin plastic, it is strong and sturdy. You could also use a clear table cloth or even a clear shower curtain but check the thickness and strength of the plastic you use. Thin plastic won't last as long and could be so light weight that it shifts around on your table.

This is my kitchen table. It is fine but I wanted to display some maps so my child will learn some geography. I don't want the maps to get ruined with spilled food or drinks so I needed to cover them with something. 

Here is a look at the maps I wanted to use. I spread them out on the table and arranged them the way I wanted. This step would be the same for displaying photos for the family reunion, pictures that your child drew or even company policies on the break room table. Whatever it is you want to display needs to be spread out and arranged on the table. Just lay them out the way you want. The plastic is going to hold them in place.

I took the white paper off my piece of plastic. It is not stuck or glued on in anyway. It separates from the clear plastic easily.
 
I spread my sheet of plastic over the table and smoothed out any wrinkles. The piece was a little bigger than my table.
 
 I didn't want the plastic to hang down over the sides of the table. I wanted to cut the excess off the edges of my piece of plastic. I wanted it to be exactly the same size as the top of my table. It will stay in place better this way.
 
The plastic is easy to cut. I went around the table and made sure the plastic was the right size for my table by cutting all around the edge. I used basic craft scissors.
 
 My youngest immediately sat down with cocoa, crayons and books. He liked having something to look at on the table. I liked that the plastic would protect everything.
 
I liked this idea for displaying photos at the family reunion or get together. What a fun table that would be! Everyone could see the pictures and reminisce while they sat around the table. Even the old irreplaceable photos would be safe to show off.

It would also be a really fun way to display your child's art work. They make so many wonderful creations and the front of the refrigerator is only so big, you can only hang up so much on the refrigerator door. Cover your table with their works of art.

I hope this idea is as useful for you as it was for me. The best part is that none of this is permanent. You can remove or change your display anytime. There is no commitment. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

***Year End Update- I hope we have learned a lot of geography from this because the maps are still on my table.


 

 

 

 




No comments: