Friday, May 26, 2023

Pouch Pocket Top

 Hello Readers. I hope you are enjoyed spring and looking forward to summer. I have loved all of "Me-Made-May". It is fun to scroll on Instagram and see what other people are sewing. Today's post is about a fun top I made with fabric from my stash. 

I love these pockets!

This top all started with this sewing book for beginners. "One Piece Wearables". All the patterns included are actually one piece so it is easier to make a completed project. It can be overwhelming when the pattern has a dozen pieces to put together.

I have been wanting to make this top for a while. The pockets look really big. I could put so much stuff in there. This was my daughter's book and she had already cut out all the pattern pieces so I was ready to get sewing. 

This pattern was one big piece that got folded and sewn together one small step at a time. The first step was to sew bias tape along the edges of the pockets. I used some bias tape I had on hand.

I did all the pleats next. When that was done I started connecting the center front. It was going to have a V-neck. 
 
 I was getting ready to add the bias tape to the neckline and I realized I did not have enough bias tape. I was going to have to add this plain beige bias tape onto the fancy bias tape I was using to make a long enough piece to go around the neckline.
 
I went on a side quest to get my bias tape situation figured out. I have never connected 2 pieces of bias tape and it was so much geometry and shapes and angles that my brain was stretched to it's limits. It was like high school math all over again. (Math was NOT my best subject.)

I got back to work and used the bias tape to finish the neckline and also the arm holes. 
 
There was supposed to be a tie in back made of even more bias tape. I added elastic across the inside of the back panel and called it a day.
 
It worked to define the waist.
 
This was a fun project and I really liked the pockets. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
 
***Year End Update- This top is cozy and the pockets are so handy. 

 

 




 








No comments: