Friday, May 5, 2023

The Strawberry Dress

 Hello Readers. When I saw this dress at a thrift store for $8 I was so excited. I thought it was amazing. I loved the strawberries and the sequins and the ruffle. I loved it all. It had some fit issues but I really wanted to fix this dress so I could wear it.

Before and after.

The dress was very low and open in the front. I needed a shirt under it just to take this picture. The length was fine but the nylon fabric was hot. REALLY HOT! I thought if I shortened the dress that it would be cooler to wear. I could also use that cut off fabric to make some kind of coverage in the bust area. 

I cut off the under skirt by about 8 inches. 

 
I cut the strawberry layer too I removed and reattached the ruffle to the hem. I really liked that ruffle. 
 
I started working on the fit of the dress at the top. I decided to make a corset back. That would add space and make more room in the front. I removed the zipper and the waist ties. Those waist ties would be my corset ties. 
 
I pinned the back to get an idea of how many metal eyelets I would need. 
 
I placed these metal eyelets where I wanted them and wacked them with a hammer. It was fun!
 
My new back was finished. The corset allows the dress to grow if needed. 
 
I used some skirt scraps to fill in the front of the dress. It was just too low cut for me. 
 
My new dress was ready to wear. I liked how it all turned out. 
 
This dress needs to go to a tea party or garden party or something. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.
 
 ***Year End Update- I love this dress. This was my first choice for the Barbie movie.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




No comments: