Saturday, May 6, 2023

Connecting Pieces of Bias Tape

 Hello Readers. I love to sew and I love getting tips and ideas. I wanted to share how to connect 2 pieces of bias tape today. Bias tape is such a great tool when sewing but what if the piece you have isn't long enough to finish the project?

Bias tape sewn together.

I was working on a new top and I did not have enough to finish the whole project. I wanted to use the colorful bias tape but needed to make it longer. I bought some coordinating beige bias tape that was the same width. I just needed to sew them together.

Bias tape is made with fabric cut on the bias so that is can curve and conform to the shape of the sewing project. Bias tape is made with strips of fabric cut at a 45 degree angle. If I sew these to pieces together end to end it won't have the same give it should.

It may not seem like it but the best way to connect 2 pieces of bias tape is to connect them perpendicular to each other. 

I pinned my 2 pieces together and I marked in pencil where I wanted to stitch them together. I stitched diagonally across the corners of these 2 pieces. This is a quick and easy straight stitch to connect the 2 pieces of bias tape.

 Once I was done sewing I could take the pin out and cut off the excess.
 
After I cut the excess fabric away, The 2 pieces need to be straightened out. 

When the 2 pieces are straightened out, you have a diagonal connection. 
 
This diagonal connection is easier to wrap around a curved neckline and it is easier to sew through because the folded layers will not be all in one spot along the bias tape. It can be folded back up.

I folded my bias tape back up and look at that connection. It is smooth and it will wrap around the neckline of this top I am making.

I sewed this bias tape to the edge of this green fabric and it was very easy to sew through.

This top was done in no time once I had my bias tape all put together. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

***Year End Update- Bias tape is not very exciting but this was a useful skill to learn.











No comments: