Wednesday, February 8, 2023

The Bog Jacket Pattern Review

 Hello Readers. I saw the minimal waste "Bog" pattern online and thought it would be great for some quilted fabric I had. I got the fabric from my mother in law when she cleaned out and down-sized. It was heavy weight fabric and I think she was going to make a bag, more on that later. Let's talk about the pattern.

 I made the shorter length Bog Jacket and I hacked the pattern quite a bit.

The fabric was in my closet for quite a while. I knew it was pricey and the gold side is silk. There is also batting layer and a cotton lining inside.

When I really looked at all the fabric I had I realized it was 2 pieces of fabric and 2 handles. My mother-in-law must have been planning to make a bag with this fabric to go with the handles she put together. I don't know how she made the handles, I didn't want to take them apart to see how they were made. What if I couldn't recreate them again? I thought it was better not to mess with them.

This is a look at the reverse side of my fabric. I went to ETSY.com and found The_Sew_Sew to buy the "Bog" pattern. It is a pdf pattern that you print out at home. Sometimes these can be difficult but this was easy. I started measuring and figured out a way to make the top of the jacket from one of my pieces. 
 
 The jacket is a little big and boxy so I was able to cut the size down an inch or so where my fabric was too small. My sleeves are tapered and there is going to be a extra seam around the middle of my jacket that wouldn't be there if you used one big piece of fabric as directed. 
 
I always try things on in the middle of sewing to make sure I am on the right track.
 
Video summary of my plan.
 
I added a rectangular piece to the jacket to add length. I added the length I had available and hoped it would be a good length on me when it was done.
 
The pattern calls for bias tape to finish the cut edges. I wasn't going to find any that match this color and I couldn't make any because I was running very low on fabric. I thought for a while and decided I would try to skip bias tape if I could. I made this little piece to finish the neck line. 

I pinned the piece around the neck and sewed it in place. 
 
I ironed it flat and there was just enough to get the neckline done. 
 
 I was able to turn the sleeves under and stitch them down so I didn't need bias tape here either. At this point I was waiting for the zipper to be delivered and I had to take a break for a week or so. 
 
My zipper came in the mail. I waited because I really wanted this brass zipper. I thought the brass was great with the gold color of the jacket. The zipper would finish the jacket front and keep it closed too. I turned the bottom edge under and stitched it down. Then I attached the zipper.

I used a serger to control fraying and attach the zipper. I stitched with the teeth of the zipper turned out and then turned the teeth in when I was done.

The pattern called for the head hole to be cut out in one oval piece. I was supposed to use bias tape to finish it and then attach it as a pocket. (It was really cute and minimal waste all at the same time.) I wanted to do something else. I really wanted a pocket that could fit my phone. I made these 2 rectangles into 2 pockets for the front of my jacket. 

I folded the top of the pocket under and stitched it down. I ironed the edges on the sides and bottom under. Once the jacket was hemmed and finished I could figure out where to put the pockets.

I used a straight stitch to attach the pockets to the jacket. My jacket was done and I loved it. 

I did a phone test. The size was perfect. Now, about those bag handles. 

My mother-in-law did some work to make these so I AM going to honor that by using them as best I can. But I am really low on fabric now. 

Here is a quick overview of the bag. I had one strip of fabric left from the jacket. The bag went together easily.

I stitched it all together with my serger but I also reinforced the top corners with my sewing machine and that was it. 

My bag was done and ready to go out with my new jacket. 

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

***Year End Update- I wear this coat all the time. It is light weight so I like how it looks and feels.

No comments: