Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Crochet Blanket to Skirt and Top

 Hello Readers. The last swap I went to had a small pile of blankets that someone somewhere took the time to crochet. No one wanted them so I took them home with me. I do not know how to crochet but I had been wanting to make some clothes from blankets like these for a while. I have made a shrug and some cozy lounge wear already. Today's post is about a skirt and top.

Before and after.

This blanket had such a fresh spring feeling to it. And I loved the blue and white. It was also a fairly tight knit so it was not as see through as some crochet blankets can be. This tighter weave was going to be easier to sew and it wouldn't be see through when I wore it. I was off to such a great start. 

I used a hoodie as a size guide to cut out a loose tunic style top. 

I cut out my sweater top and stitched the sides together and then cut an oval neck hole at the top.

I used some blue bias tape to close up the neck hole.
 
  The blue matched well but after I sewed the bias tape around the neck, I turned it under and stitched it down so that only the sweater material would show.
 
 I originally thought I would just make the top but when I really looked at the scraps I knew I could make something else. 

I did some measuring and I knew I would need 3 of these pieces to fit around my hips. 

 
I used bias tape to connect the pieces. I thought it would make strong seams inside the skirt.
 
I made a simple elastic waistband. 
 
I started to second guess my decisions here. I wasn't sure I liked it when it was on the dress form.
 
I really liked it when I put it on.
 
The sweater is fine by itself too. But I really like the 2 pieces together the best. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

***Year End Update- I love this sweater and skirt but it is only good for warm weather. It will come back out in spring.
 
 
 
 
 

 

 





 







No comments: