Friday, February 3, 2023

Lounge Wear From a Crochet Blanket

 Hello Readers. I love lounge wear. I decided to make some lounge wear from this blanket. I don't know how to crochet but I liked the idea of using an old blanket to make something. It was a little messy to cut and sew this material but it was fun to try and make this idea work. 

From an old blanket to cozy clothes.

Here is a look at the blanket I used. It was at a clothes swap and no one else wanted it. So, it came home with me. It was in good condition. I gave it a good wash and got to work. 

I cut off one side of the blanket to make my new top. I wanted all the colors in the top so that is where I cut it off. I also wanted the scalloped edge at the neckline so the blue edge will be the bottom of my shirt. 
 
The first thing I did was use bias tape to cover the cut edge. This will fray really fast so I needed to keep the whole thing together while I was working. The bias tape is like a sandwich to keep the yarn from falling apart.
 
Here is a look at the top. I used my dress form to help me get it all pinned and clipped in place. 

While I was sewing I did a couple things to make it easier. I used this little sewing gauge to keep the yarn from getting stuck on the presser feet.

I also put strips of tissue paper under what I was sewing so that it might glide more smoothly along as I was sewing. When I was done, I tore the tissue paper away. If there are any little bits left they will come out in the wash.

I used a pair of leggings as a pattern and cut out 2 legs. I sewed them together. 
 
This is a look at the inside seams of the new "blanket pants". You can see a bit of tissue left on the seam. It's OK. It will wash out. 

I used this stretchy ribbing as a waistband. It was left over from a recent jacket refashion. 

My new lounge wear from a blanket is done. The knit had a lot of stretch and give so it was really comfy. This wasn't the easiest material to sew through but it was fun and I am digging my new pajamas. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

***Year End Update- This was a soft cozy outfit that was destroyed sadly in the dryer. One little piece of yarn got caught on something in the dryer and some of the yarn strings came un-woven. I was so disappointed.









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant!

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks so much for the comment!
Chickie