Friday, February 17, 2023

Refashioning Vintage Polyester

 Hello Readers. It took about 3 years but I finally decided what I wanted to do with this vintage polyester dress. It takes me a while to get my thoughts together sometimes. This dress is a pretty blue but the top and sleeves are very scratchy on the skin. I put off refashioning it because it was so uncomfortable to wear. Then it finally became clear....just cut off the itchy sleeves. It could be sleeveless. Duh! So, let's go.

Before and after.

This dress was so long on me. It would need a cut in length for sure 

I put the dress on my dress form inside out. I started marking where I was going to cut the dress. 

I cut the sleeves off at an angle so I could have a halter look. I also cut the skirt into a much shorter length.

I turned the edges under and stitched the fabric down. I also turned the hem under and stitched it down. 

I liked the new sleeveless look and the length was much better. Now, I had to style it. I wasn't sure what I should do.
 
Should I wear black with it? Black always works.
 
Or maybe neutrals would be a good idea? I like neutrals.
 
Casual style with white sneakers and a hoodie? What do you think? Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

***Year End Update- I love the color of this dress but the feel of the polyester was not the best. I haven't worn it again.

 

 

 






No comments: