Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Stripes & Lace

Hello Readers. I can feel that summer is coming to an end but there is still time for a summer refashion. I liked both of these blue and white striped shirts. I like blue and white and I like stripes. So, what's not to love?

The mostly blue shirt was a little tight and the mostly white shirt was one of those off-the-shoulder tops that doesn't stay where they are supposed to. When ever I wear these they ride up and become a cropped shirt and I don't like that much of my mom-tummy to show. But look at that gorgeous lace trim!

My first step was to start removing that beautiful lace trim. I used my seam ripper and got to work. I set the lace aside until later.

My next step was to cut off the back of the mostly blue shirt. I did not cut off the entire back. I only cut  under the arms, across the back and down the sides.

I planned to sew the back of the mostly white shirt into the mostly blue shirt.I used the piece I cut off as a pattern but made it a bit wider at the bottom. This will add a few inches and make the shirt more roomy.

Now it was time to add the lace back on at the waistband. It was so pretty. It was the highlight of this whole refashion. I just used a narrow zigzag stitch in white thread and stitched over the lace. It was easy to reattach.

I cut the sleeves a little shorter and then added the white lace on the sleeves as well. I wanted to use as much of that pretty lace as I could.

This shirt fit better after all these additions and the lace made it so much more fun to wear. I don't know if you need to wear masks at work but I do. Check out the "No Sewing Required!" mask below.

***   No Sewing Required Mask   ***

Remember the piece I cut from the mostly blue shirt. 

I cut this oval shape and made small slits on the sides. The measuring tape is just a guide. Your face might be a different size. 

I like to tuck the mask in on the sides of my nose. It seems to keep my glasses from fogging up. 

I had enough fabric to make 2. These masks are my favorite because they are soft on the ears and they stretch to fit my face easily. The knit material doesn't fray at all. It's washable and you can layer more than one at a time if you want a thicker mask. 

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 

***Chickie's Year End Review-I liked this top. It went together like I planned. It hasn't been out since summer though. 






 


2 comments:

jenny_o said...

I love this refashion. You've given me an idea for how to use a top which has material I really like but it looks too blah as an entire top. I will see what I have in my closet that can go with it to make a hybrid top instead. Thanks for the easy mask instructions too - I think this will be excellent for my mom. She finds the elastic on regular masks bothers her ears. I'm going to try it for me as well. My mom and I are not big people so we don't have big faces, and regular masks tend to poke us in the eyes!

I Can Work With That said...

Hi Jenny!
I love the term "hybrid top"! That is a great way to put it.
I hate the masks that hit me in the eyes. And between the elastic from masks and my glasses, my poor ears are worn out. I find these masks so much softer.
Chickie