Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Capri's To Shorts

 Hello Readers. I have been having fun with a big pile of hand-me-downs that I was given. I have been trying to make them work for me. Refashioning is always a lot of fun and it's a great way to get a wardrobe that is really personalized and suits me.

Lots of women like Capri pants in the summer. But they do not like me. They make me look very short in the legs and just short all over. I am short but these Capri Pants just emphasize all the wrong things. I look like a Hobbit delivering a ring. I could get upset about my Hobbit legs or I can make these Capri pants work for me.

I knew these Capri pants would suit me much better as shorts. I cut them off, hemmed them and made the waist a bit more fitted. This was a fast and easy sewing project.

So what about this dress? It was a little tight around the hips and in the bum. This photo is awkwardly edited because I took a weird picture but the dress looked pretty much like this.

I decided to shorten this dress into a shirt. It was a perfect fitted style t-shirt. I can be rough on my clothes so a fresh new t-shirt is always a good idea.

I was done sewing and I had a fun casual outfit ready to go. 


Thanks for reading along, next time I am going to show you more details about this dress. I had this blue t-shirt dress and 4 more like it to refashion in different ways. See you next time.

*If you have been following along with my 2021project to refashion for free all year, the year is 2/3 over and so far I am making it! I have not bought anything but needles and thread. And...well, a serger.*

***Chickie's Year End Review-I still think Capri pants are the worst thing I could wear. They look awful on me. Shorts are a better choice.

6 comments:

KD said...

I agree with you that wider-legged capris make short legs look shorter, and no short woman wants that! (Unless the wider legs look like a culotte-skirt, in which case that works out well.) For your recent refashion of the cropped pants for the pink pant suit, you narrowed the entire leg, but it doesn't look like you shortened them. They look great on you, and I think they make the suit look slimming, well-proportioned, and stylish. So, I am wondering whether, for us shorter women, the secret to wearing capri pants is to narrow the leg to fit quite closely from mid-thigh down to the hem. Of course, this only works if there is enough stretch in the fabric so that you can still bend your knees and sit down comfortably. Or, if they are really wide, to refashion them into culottes, at a length that you usually wear skirts. What are your thoughts on this?

I Can Work With That said...

Hi KD,
I think you are right, the proportions and fit make a big difference in how cropped pants look. I think a high waist helps make legs look longer too. If the cropped pants have a high waist and you tuck in the top it can make the legs look longer and balance the cropped look of the pants.
I have to try on everything to see how it is really making me look. Some things work and others just don't.
Thanks for reading along,
Chickie

KD said...

Thanks for your comment about high waists. I hadn't thought of that.

I agree that trying things on will let anyone see how close the garment is to fitting and looking nice on their unique body size and shape. Then you can judge what it would take to make that garment look great, and decide whether you have the skills to do that, and whether you want to spend the effort to do that.

I admit that I don't try things on at the thrift shop before buying. I just guesstimate how well they would fit or not fit, and make a decision. After getting garments home, washing them, and then trying them on, I sometimes find that plan A won't work and I need a plan B. I enjoy the problem-solving process of figuring what is the best thing to do to make a garment work for me.

I Can Work With That said...

I think that the higher the waistband is, the longer the legs look. I also like to find a way to wear something that doesn't fit the way I thought it would. It's like a challenge.
Chickie

jenny_o said...

I think that capris on short women look fine if they're cut just below the knee instead of lower on the leg. They should hit right at the narrowest part of the leg below the knee for best effect. My two cents as another short person! Cutting capris into shorts is also excellent. I no longer wear shorts in public so I had to find a way to wear capris that didn't make me feel dumpy :)

I Can Work With That said...

Hi Jenny,
I think you are right, that is a better length and makes legs look longer and leaner too. It's a good tip to remember.
Chickie