Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Chair Covers

 Hello Readers. I like to do projects around the house and one project I have been wanting to do for at least 5 years is slipcovers for my kitchen chairs. 

These chairs came with this vintage table. I love this retro table. The chairs seem to have been recovered in the popular colors of the 70's. These greens and golds do not match my house at all. 

My house is all blue and white on the first floor. Like, all blue and white. These chairs do not fit in.

I decided to get to work and make some slip covers using whatever I had on hand. I didn't want to break the no shopping in 2021 ban I put on myself. (I can only buy thread and needles in 2021.) What did I have that I could use? I had not really looked in the stash. I had a denim bedspread with a few holes I could cut it up for parts. 


I had a matelasse bedspread with an ink stain I could use that.  I have tried everything I could to get the ink out.

I had a little of this blue striped fabric I could use it as well. 

I did not know where to start so I turned to my daughter for help. She figured out a pattern I could use for the slip covers. I knew I needed a pattern for this and I knew I did not know how to make a pattern. She did some magic and made me a pattern.

It took a long time to cut all the pieces out. I was careful to make sure I had enough for all 6 chairs. I wanted to use all these different fabrics but I also wanted to make each chair exactly the same. 


 It was finally time to sew. I made the seat covers first. I used some of the blue and some of the white. The white had a pretty scalloped edge that I liked. The covers sit on top of the chairs and tie on the back legs. I have a 6 year old and I knew I needed something I could take off and wash. (*He got chocolate on it 2 days after I put the cover on.)

I made the covers for the seat back next. I used all 3 fabrics for these. I had all these fabrics and trim pieces on hand so this is a 100% freebie project. I didn't really have much choice as to what fabric went where. I just had to use the fabrics that could fit the pattern pieces.

I used the blue denim on the back, The white on the top and the stripe on the front of the covers. I put the pieces together and then top stitched all around. They tie on each side. I did not have enough zippers to make the slip covers with a zipper in each one. So, ties it would be.

It took me so long to get to this project but I am so glad I did it. 

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 

***Chickie's Year End Review-My chairs look so much better. I have washed them a few times and they was well. They made my kitchen look more put together.

No comments: