Friday, August 13, 2021

Halter

 Hello Readers. Do you remember this silk dress? I got it from a swap because I loved the color. And everyone love silk right? The halter top of this dress was very skimpy and low cut. It wasn't my style. What was I going to do with it?

 

The dress originally was a low cut halter style that tied behind the neck. It was SO LOW that I was not comfortable even modeling it. (I have 3 kids. I nursed them all for at least a year. This is not a good style for me.) 

I made the skirt of the dress into a shirt. But now that top was actually just what I needed. That's right. I needed a skimpy backless halter top. But why? Don't get too excited, it was actually pretty boring.

I finished the bottom of the halter top so it would look nice and neat. When I cut it off the skirt of the dress I left about 1/4 inch extra fabric. I tucked that extra fabric under and used a zigzag stitch to cover the cut edge. 

Here is a close up. The was an elastic seam already in place so I pulled the fabric smooth while I stitched to make sure I was getting all the fabric together.

The elastic gathered back again when I was done sewing. This made a nice elastic band at the bottom of my new halter top. It was still so open and low in the front. I wanted to fix that too.

I folded the top together and stitched the v-neck closed. I wanted the top to be less low cut. I made sure all the ruffles were flat and sewed the v closed from the inside.

Doing this gave me more coverage in the bust. The ruffles hide this and it just looks connected.

The top is still has that classic V shaped neckline but it will stay closed and nothing will pop out that should stay closed. 

I know lots of people would wear this out dancing or to a fancy date night. Where did I wear my new halter top? The doctor. It sounds weird but I had to get allergy test and I knew I would have to be backless for a little while. My youngest was with me so I thought if I wore a halter top I would be less uncomfortable and naked during this whole changing/testing/getting dressed process. They did give me a paper jacket to wear but the halter top made me feel more comfortable. (Is that a tattoo? Yes, I was young once. And I got the smallest tattoo I could. It is a very faded shamrock. )

This silk top doesn't have to just go to the doctor. It deserves an evening of disco dancing. I don't know if that will happen but maybe someday. 

 

 Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.  

***Chickie's Year End Review-This top was really useful but I have not worn it again.


 


2 comments:

KD said...

You found a good use for that tiny leftover. You must have been the best dressed patient in the office that day, especially considering that the others were wearing paper jackets.

I Can Work With That said...

Hi KD,
Haha! I wore a little jacket over it until the testing. But the silk ruffles were pretty fancy.
Chickie