Wednesday, June 30, 2021

The Denim Oops Skirt

 Hello Readers. I wanted to make a boxy denim dress out of these men's jeans. They were wide legged and there was a lot of good denim there. I ended up making some mistakes and barely was able to make this fitted denim skirt. That's how it goes sometimes.


I started with the jeans by cutting the legs off the jeans. I saved the rest for later.


I cut the legs open so I had 2 pieces of denim to work with. I didn't have as much denim as I thought I would. Why did I think it would be bigger? I don't know. I kept going. I thought I could make a fitted denim mini-dress. If you try this I recommend 3-4 leg sections to make a looser fitting dress.


I cut the back pockets off the jeans. I thought they would look cute somewhere on my dress. 


Let's just say, mistakes were made. I ended up with this mutant dress. I took a break and had a cup of tea. Maybe some cookies. Whatever.


Now I was mad and I was going to make something wear-able from this denim if it killed me. I cut the top of the dress off and decided to try and save this skirt. 



I had a front and back so that was good. I needed a waistband. I went back to those jeans. How could I use the original waistband?


I decided to cut the belt loops off, attach it to the skirt and actually tie it in the front. 


It looks like this. 



The fit at the back of the  waist would have been an issue but I made the waist of the skirt smaller in the back by pulling one side over the other and stitching it together and then sewing the waistband on to the skirt. This really helped with the fit of the skirt.


All the pieces I cut got a lovely fray on them after going through the wash. I thought that would happen. It made the skirt more casual and fun. You can see that the very front is not connected or sewn together at the center. That is so I can pull the skirt on and then tie it closed at the waist. 


The waistband was a cute element that also really kept the skirt closed. This denim had some stretch to it and this whole skirt would not work without the stretch. The skirt stretched enough to get on and off and it was comfortable to wear. 


In the end, I did not get what I thought I wanted but I liked what I got. Life lesson? Maybe. See you next time. 

***Chickie's Year End Review-I really had fun with this skirt. What a fun one-of-a-kind refashion.

2 comments:

jenny_o said...

Maybe a life lesson or maybe you're just a glass-half-full kinda person! But I do like the skirt and especially the ties - it's unique and fun!

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks Jenny!
It was a fun sewing battle.
haha
Chickie