Friday, June 4, 2021

Dress of Tiers

 Hello Readers. I have seen a lot of dresses with full tiered skirts lately. I decided to try and make one from the clothes I have on my refashion rack. If I made it myself I could modify it and make sure it wasn't too full or long on me. I am pretty short so refashioning something usually works for me. 

I started by trying to match the colors of this beach cover-up dress. It had a bright summery pattern to it but it was too low cut on its own. I had a couple t-shirts on-hand that would work well with the colors of this dress. 

 I wanted to use the black shirt at the top so I held it up to myself to see where I wanted to cut it off. 


I cut the black shirt so I could add the next tier of fabric right under the bustline. Every body is different. The only way to know how long to make this upper part of my dress was to check it on my own body.


I cut the top off the dress and cut the skirt of the dress into 2 tiers. It was longest and fullest so I could use it twice in my new dress.


I also had this bright green t-shirt. It had some advertising on the shirt but I could cut one tier out of the body of the shirt. I cut the hem of the t-shirt off because it would be bulky and thicker than the rest of the fabric I was sewing together.  


I laid all my pieces out in front of me. I wanted the smallest at the top and the widest at the bottom. That will give me the full A-line shape that I wanted. 


I stitched everything together one tier at a time. I made sure the pieces were evenly gathered so that they made a ruffled look at each level of the dress. I used pins to make sure the different sized tiers would stay even as I sewed. I left the hem on the bottom tier of the dress. That way my dress is all finished.


My new dress is nice and full. It has a loose fit but it doesn't look like I am lost or overwhelmed in all the tiers of fabric. 

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 

***Chickie's Year End Review-I liked making this but it wasn't my favorite dress of the 3 tiered dresses I made.


2 comments:

KD said...

Great idea, to lengthen a skirt or dress by inserting a band in the middle, rather than at the hem. Sometimes at the hem-line is best, but it's good to also consider the middle, especially a band that extends 3-6 inches above and below the waist on a tunic-length t-shirt or a too-short t-shirt dress. This type of band can complement or contrast the original piece (as yours does), and can nicely set off a belt or sash. This is great for giving some shape to a straight t-shirt dress. Nice job! Now to go find a too-short t-shirt dress....

I Can Work With That said...

Hi KD,
Thanks for the comment. I have tried adding the fabric at the hem too. It's fun to try different placement. It can change up the whole look. I always try to have fun with my sewing.
Chickie