Friday, June 18, 2021

Puffed Sleeves and Ruffles

 Hello Readers. Button-down shirts are fun to refashion and they are always abundant and easy to find at thrift stores. 


I chose this striped shirt because I thought it would be great for summer. The black stripes were pretty neutral and the little pink dots were subtle. I cut the collar and neckband off and made a more open round neck. I thought that would be comfortable to wear. I cut the new neckline right above a button so the shirt would stay closed at the neckline. If the round cut was too far away from a button I would have a lot of extra fabric flapping around.

 I used bias tape to finish the edge of my new round neck. I stitched the bias tape to the outside and then turned it in. That makes the edge look finished. I top stitched the outer edge to keep the bias tape turned in. I thought this would be an easy way to finish the curved neckline I had cut.


I also cut the shirt into short sleeves. Short sleeves seemed best for summer. I took the sides in just a little. My new white background is great for photos. Unless I am taking a picture of a white shirt. It isn't as easy to see if the shirt is white. This was poor planning on my part. Apologies.

I tried some editing to make the photo easier for you to see. I am not sure it is really any better though. White on white is hard for me to photograph well.


To make the ruffled sleeves, I hemmed the sleeves and then added elastic. I tugged on the elastic a little so it would gather the sleeves into a little ruffle at the edge.


My new short sleeved shirt was done and perfect for work. I liked how it turned out. The little puffed sleeves were fun and easy to make. 

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 

***Chickie's Year End Review-I liked this shirt a lot but it got too tight. Middle age? Snacks? Both? Oh well.


2 comments:

KD said...

That shirt was just begging to be made into a more feminine garment. I love the little pink/red dots on black and white stripes. Woven cotton is a perfect fabric for summer. Style, color/pattern, fabric: you nailed them all! Thanks for sharing!

I Can Work With That said...

Hi KD,
I thought it would work for summer and match so many other clothes. I hope so anyway.
Happy sewing to you!
Chickie