Wednesday, June 16, 2021

The Dressed-up Button-down

 Hello Readers. I have been refashioning some shirts recently.


I had some button down shirts and I wanted to play around with embellishing one of them. It didn't really matter which one.  

I chose this lavender pinkish colored shirt.


 I didn't really have a fully thought out plan. I just figured it out as I went. I cut out the back panel so I could replace it with other fabric. I also realized the sleeves were very long on me so I cut them off too. I kept the seam where the arm hole is. The seam is acting as a skeleton to keep my shirt in its correct shape. I left the seams because they will help me put it all back together later.


 I used the pieces I cut out from the shirt as a pattern to cut the replacement pieces. I had this purple fabric left over from a maxi-dress to t-shirt refashion. I cut out the back piece from the purple fabric as you can see here.


 It was easy to sew the new back in because I cut it the same size and shape as the original back. I knew I was going to sew a zigzag stitch right on the edge of the new pieces so I did not leave much seam allowance. I wasn't going to need any extra fabric for my new seams.


 I used the sleeves of the pink shirt to cut out new sleeves from the purple fabric. I wanted 3/4 length sleeves so I made the new sleeves shorter than the original sleeves. 


I stitched the sleeves into my new shirt. By using the old pieces and keeping the "skeleton of the shirt in place, this is like putting a jigsaw puzzle together. The pieces fit right back into the shirt. 


The purple knit material will make this shirt comfortable and give it some stretch.


I wanted add something more to my shirt so I got out some trim. I added some eyelet lace and a little ribbon at the hemline just for fun.


My new shirt was finished. I liked the blocks of color and the fun trim. The stretch of the purple knit material makes it very comfortable. 

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 

***Chickie's Year End Review-I had fun adding all the different fabrics and trims together for this one. I just wore it 2 days ago.

No comments: