Wednesday, June 9, 2021

One More Dress of Shirts

 Hello Readers. I have been scrap busting as much as possible and I got to an outdoor swap recently too. My plans to refashion for free in 2021 are going better than I thought they would. Today's post is one last dress made of shirts. These dresses have been fun to make, so comfortable to wear and I have been able to use up some of my scraps and pieces.


This dress was made possible because I had this large piece of black and white fabric from a refashion I did a couple years ago. I used a dress to make a bathing suit that covered everything I wanted to cover. 

This piece was the skirt of the dress. I always save the leftover fabric from refashions so I can use them later. 


I knew I wanted to make a dress so, I found a couple shirts that would work with this floral fabric. I started with a black tank top. I wanted it to be the top of my dress. I made sure to mark where I wanted to cut it. 


I started cutting shirts to make the tiers of my dress. 


I like red and black together so this red shirt is next. Cut, cut, cut. 


Cutting the hem off the shirt is important because the red is going to be the middle tier. 


I checked my pieces to make sure they would fit together well. To get a nice A-line shape I used the widest piece at the at the bottom and the narrowest at the top. I used a zigzag stitch to connect the pieces together.


My dress was a quick and easy project. I was ready to go out I the summer heat. 

*** BONUS TRACK ***

I still had the top of this red shirt left over. I thought it would be a great piece to use in a pajama set. 


I used these capri length pajama pants to make shorts. I cut them off and had the ends leftover. The fabric had a fun comic book design featuring Captain America.


I used the bottom of the capri pants to make a shirt. I cut each pant leg open and stitched them together into a tube. I connected that tube to the the red shirt. There is a seam in the front and back of the shirt but the design hides it quite well.

 Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 

***Chickie's Year End Review-I liked this dress a lot and I wore those pajamas at least 347 times.


5 comments:

KD said...

I love both the dress and the PJs! They both look cool, comfy, and classy.

Just wondering about the clothing swaps where you source your garments to be refashioned. Can you say who organizes and sponsors the swaps that you attend? I would like to look for some swaps in my area. Thanks for any info you can provide.

I Can Work With That said...

Hi KD,
Thanks for the comment. I forgot to take pictures of the latest swap I went to. Pictures would give a better idea of what it is. Most of the swaps I go to are organized by a church or a community center or woman's group.
I have done a small swap in my basement. Friends and neighbors just brought whatever clothes and accessories they wanted to give away and we just spread them around the living room. We had tea and people took a few items they wanted. I took what ever was left to a charity shop to donate them.
The swap I went to recently was bigger and they took the clothes in all week, organized them by type and size and then Saturday morning they opened it up to the public to "shop". And again, all the leftover clothing was taken to a charity shop.
If you use the search box on the left side of my blog, type in "clothes swap" and you can read a post about swaps I wrote a couple years ago.
I hope this helps answer your question.
Chickie

KD said...

Thanks, Chickie, for the info!

jenny_o said...

I love the colours in this one! And I've been wondering the same things about the clothes swaps as KD asked about, so it was interesting to read your answers. You refashion so many pieces; do you keep them all?

I Can Work With That said...

Hi Jenny_o,
Thanks for the comment and question. When I started refashioning and blogging about it I had just had a baby, then I was nursing, then I lost some baby weight, Then I leveled off for a while, then Covid came... so my size was changing over the last 5 years. I have shared some clothes with my daughter who went from a university student to an office worker and needed dress clothes. I have given other items away as I couldn't fit into them anymore. I also had a bad washer that destroyed quite a few pieces too.
Chickie