Friday, July 2, 2021

Refit

 Hello Readers. It is really summer now, It is hot, humid and also, did I mention hot? This was a good time to stay inside start learning to use my serger. I got the Brother 1034D. It is a really basic home use model. And it had good reviews for being easy to thread. 


 I liked the fit and length of these Old Navy jeans. Could I make my jeans fit the same as these?


The jeans I found at a swap were soft and broken in. They had a lot of stretch in them so the holes pulled together in a funny way. If I wore them tight, it wouldn't be a factor. But I don't want them tight. I want them to be looser in the legs. I had to do something with the holes of these jeans.


I decided to use this very simple outfit top play with my serger firstand see if I could use it. This shirt was a very soft knit. A serger would make better seams than a sewing machine. A sewing machine can pull and caust the new seams to pucker I cut the shirt down in size and then ...


I used this guy. 


 Look at this seam! It looks so good. I have never used a serger before and I loved it.

 


I wanted to make the waistband of the jeans in. I decided to try a new fix. I cut out wedges of fabric in the back of the jeans. 


I used my serger to connect the jeans back together. Would the serger be able to handle this project? They were a lot of layers and seams in the back of these jeans. The serger did get the job done, but faltered in a couple spots. The seams were tough to stitch through. I don't think I will try this again. My 1943 Singer sewing machine can handle these layered denim seams better. Its all steel and can just stitch through anything.


The end result was an outfit that fit a lot better and made me look a little taller. It's all an illusion, I am still short as heck! But I liked the clothes so much better, that is what matters. 


Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 

***Chickie's Year End Review-Not much excitement here. I still wear both these basic pieces though so that is a win to me.

5 comments:

KD said...

Your first two photos are a great demonstration of how important it is to get the right fit. Great job!

KD said...

Your first two photos are a great demonstration of how important it is to get the right fit. Great job!

jenny_o said...

Oh, a serger - that's a serious purchase! Well done on your first projects! I keep thinking I should upgrade my regular sewing machine - it doesn't seem to grip the fabric well enough. But then I wouldn't know what to do with my current one. Meanwhile, I do nothing :)

I Can Work With That said...

Thank you KD! I agree fit is everything.
Chickie

I Can Work With That said...

Hi Jenny! I did not upgrade my sewing machine until I literally broke the shaft and it could not be repaired. Then I went with an old machine because I thought it would be stronger. (It is.)
I had thought about a serger but always assumed they would be very expensive. I got this very basic Brother serger from Amazon. It was not as much as I thought and I had birthday gift money so I figured, why not. I really do like it because I like to wear knits and the serger is just better with knits than my sewing machine is. You would probably like it if you got one. :)
Chickie