Friday, March 5, 2021

Shawl to Sweater

Hello Readers. I love the idea of a shawl. It can be warm and cozy but also dramatic and chic. But a shawl can be hard to wear if you are being active at home or on the go. So what could I do with this pretty blue shawl I found at a clothes swap?

 

 

This shawl was a beautiful aquamarine blue. I love this color. The shawl had a lettuce leaf hem all around. That wavy little hem really appealed to me. This shawl was a little big. It would be great if I was curled up with a book and a cup of tea. I rarely have time for that. Let's make this into a piece of clothing I can wear more and get more use from. 

 The back of the shawl was plain and looked ready for a refashion.


I started by using a sliver of soap to mark out a sweater shape. Could I make a cardigan style sweater?   I could try! Does it look lopsided? That is OK, the soap marks can be adjusted and will wash out easily.

After I made new side seams and cut the excess away, I had 4 little pieces leftover. You can see how much of that wavy lettuce leaf hem is there. What could I do with these pieces? I cut the wavy edges off and connected them all together.


I stitched all the edges together and had a long skinny belt shape. 


When I was done I had a cardigan shape and a tie for the waist. But did it look a little too much like a robe? I thought it did but that is OK too. Lounge wear is an important part of my wardrobe in 2021. I thought this new lounge sweater was perfect for feeling cozy.


I can also wear the sweater without the belt. It hangs open and looks more like a loose jacket or cardigan without the tie at the waist. 


Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

* If you are tracking along with my zero cost refashion year, so far I am on track because it has all been free. 

***Chickie's Year End Review-I like this sweater because it is very soft. I wear it a lot at home when it gets chilly after dinner. Its not too heavy or hot.

No comments: