Friday, March 26, 2021

Maybe That Dress Should Be A Shirt

Hello Readers. When I am looking for a fun top sometimes the best place to look is at the dresses in my refashion stash. A fun dress can make a really fun top. This striped dress was my daughter's. She cleaned out her closet and I took the hand-me-downs to use in my refashion for free in 2021 plan. Can I go all year without buying anything but thread? (And maybe some needles too.) Sure I can.

This dress fit really close. Let's be honest it was a little tight. But I really liked the brown stripes. I had a plan about what to do with this slightly tight dress. 


 I liked this dress a lot. Check out the buttons on the shoulders. So cute!


The first thing I did was cut the dress into a length that would work as a shirt.  That's right. I just cut it. Those cute stripes made it easy to make an even level cut. 


I was not sure if this sweater would fray or not. I decided to be safe and make a hem on the bottom using a zigzag stitch. The zigzag will allow it to stretch a little. The whole sweater was stretchy, I wanted my new hem to be stretchy too. 

 

I already knew I wanted to wear this new sweater top with my black over-alls. These also came from my daughter. They had a cool elastic finish at the ankles. (On left.) It was cool but I did not like it on me. I cut the elastic off and gave the pant legs a simple hem to finish them. (On right.)

My new fitted shirt was perfect. A loose shirt would not fit well under these over-alls. The fit of this sweater made it stay put and it didn't ride or bunch up.


I went out and got a haircut for the first time in ages. A fresh haircut always feels so good. 

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 

***Chickie's Year End Review-I like this striped shirt so much. I still wear it with the overalls. If it works, don't mess with it.

No comments: