Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Valentine Elbow Patches

 Hello Readers. We are in the middle of a series of snow days where I live. It is cold and snowy. I have the perfect sweater for cold weather. And I added some heart shaped elbow pads for a touch Valentine's Day.


 This sweater came all the way from Ireland. Did I go to Ireland and buy a sweater? No. I found this sweater at a clothes swap with the tags still attached. It was brand new! I think someone got a souvenir that they did not want.


 I found a similar sweater online for a price comparison. $279??? I knew they were pricey but I didn't know just how pricey. 
 

 This sweater was a bit big. I think it would have fit my husband. It was sort of square like a men's sweater too.


I decided to wash it. That's right. I washed a wool sweater. I thought it would shrink and fit better. It was risky but I like to live wild! I dried it on low too.
 

 The sweater shrank several inches in length but it did not shrink in width. I was still pleased because I didn't have to try to shorten the sweater. I used a zigzag stitch to make new side seams. I wanted it to fit better but still be roomy enough to wear over other shirts. This is wool so it can be a little scratchy. It is also as warm as a jacket. Next, I wanted to dress it up. 

I used a couple of these embroidered fabric pieces.  There were a couple that were off-white and looked nice with this off-white sweater. I used a zigzag stitch to make 2 heart shaped "patches" that I could attach to the sweater.


 Here is a good look at the hearts. I hand sewed the hearts to the sleeves as elbow patches. The hearts are a little different from each other but I liked them on the elbows of my cozy new sweater. Making them heart shaped helped unify them. Hearts work for Valentine's Day and all winter too.

 
 The sweater fit better but it was just as warm as it could be.

 
We went out walking to enjoy the beautiful snow before it melted.

  

It was a beautiful heavy snow. It was like cotton candy.


 Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 

***Chickie's Year End Review-This sweater is still beloved. It is SO warm I can't wear it unless it is very cold. I will save it forever and wear it every winter.

No comments: