Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Not Skinny Jeans

Hello Readers. If you are in my part of the world you are really feeling the cold weather. This is a good time to stay in the house and sew. I liked this red top and jeans but they needed a little help.


This top was too long in the sleeves. The sleeves were hanging down over my hands. The ruffle was getting close to maternity style. It was such a pretty flowy top. I really wanted to make it work. 


The first step was to take the sides in a little. The waist could be smaller and the top would fit better. There wasn't any stretch in this fabric so I couldn't make it too fitted.

The next step was to make the sleeves shorter and to make the whole shirt a little shorter too. The seam across the mid section of this shirt had an edge that looked similar to a lettuce leaf hem. That inspired me.

I used a zigzag stitch on the sleeves and hem of the shirt. I didn't turn the edges under like usual. I decided to try and copy the finish they had used. I can see why they did it. It made the fabric lighter and gave the shirt more movement.

Now that the shirt was done I started working on the jeans. I have been wanting jeans like this for a while. I wanted to have jeans with a high waist and a looser straight leg. I usually make skinny jeans but I wanted something different. I found these at a clothes swap and I thought I could make them into what I wanted.


I took the jeans in a little at the waist, hips and thighs but I didn't make the lower leg more narrow. I left the calves as loose as possible.

 I made a new straight seam on the side and then used a zigzag stitch to keep the new edges neat. I don"t have a serger so this is my usual method. 


Next, I cut a new length for the jeans. I did not want them even, I wanted them to be a little longer in the back so that it how I cut them. I cut them and tried them on and cut a little more. I thought the uneven hem would look good when worn with my chunky clogs.


That was it. I was done with this whole outfit. These were small tweaks that made the whole  outfit more flattering and comfortable to wear. 

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 

***Chickie's Year End Review-I liked both of these pieces but they both got too tight with Covid snacking. Neither piece had any stretch to it and we had to part ways. I donated it so someone else can love it.

No comments: