Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Tailoring a Sweater

 

 Hello Readers. I hope you are doing well today. My daughter has been cleaning out her closet and passing things on to me. One of those things was this sweater.


 Maybe it's just me but this sweater seems a little off balance. Why is the front so much bigger and longer than the back?

The back of the sweater was a good length and the sleeves fit well. The front panels were made to be loose and drape down in the front so I know they are supposed to be longer. It just didn't suit me. It is so thick that is is bulky. A little too bulky to drape well.

I decided to make this sweater a little more streamlined and tailored. I know what you are thinking, "How can a sweater be altered?". I just cut and sewed the sweater like it was any other fabric.

I just used a zigzag stitch on this sweater and it worked great. It controlled the fraying very well.

The sweater was so much simpler now. I really liked it. What about that shirt I am wearing with it?

My daughter gave me this shirt when she gave me the sweater. I am shorter than her and the V-neck was too low on me. The whole shirt was very long. I looked at it and realized the back was a plain round neck. Could I wear it backwards and solve this problem easily with no sewing? Yes, I could! It was still too long. It was so long that I couldn't tuck it in,


 I shortened the shirt and used the extra fabric to make a couple face masks. You can't have too many face masks right.


 I liked the final result. The shirt was so much better when it was backwards and shorter.


 I liked tucking the shirt in. Sometimes simpler is better. This combo, including the mask, was perfect for work.

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 

***Chickie's Year End Review-I wore this a few times but got tired of cold shoulder top under this sweater. The sweater isn't a favorite but it's OK.

 

 

2 comments:

KD said...

A great improvement in fit and style! I also find this style of sweater to be unbalanced and overwhelming on me. I'm no fashion forecaster, but I think that this style will become dated. This refashion into a more classic style can extend the life of a sweater. Thanks as always for sharing your ideas!

I Can Work With That said...

Hello KD! I think you are right. This style won't stand the test of time. I think it was supposed to flatter but it was just too bulky. That's OK. We can always sew and refashion.
Thanks for the comment,
Chickie