Friday, January 22, 2021

Satin Pillowcases

 Hello Readers. You know I am all about refashions and I can't get enough clothing remakes and updates. But sometimes sewing is more practical and less fashion related. This post is all about pillowcases. Pillowcases??? Yes. Pillowcases.

 

It all started when my daughter suggested that we clean out the sewing closet. She proposed that instead of trying to make everything fit in there that we get rid of the fabric that we didn't really like and didn't think we would use. I thought sure, we should do that. While we were organizing all the fabric I found this piece of satin. This really bright fushia satin.We both thought it was so bright that we probably would not make clothing out of it. And who needs satin clothes during a pandemic? But I had an idea.

I have been trying to read up on curly hair and how to style and maintain curls. I have some curls but I do not know how to take care of them. What do they want to be happy curls and not unhappy frizz? I am still learning. One thing I read about was satin pillowcases. From my reading, they are supposed to help with tangles and frizz. I had even looked at the store when I was there but they did not sell them. When I found this fabric I thought I would make my own.

I had just enough fabric to make 4 standard size pillowcases. I used the selvage edge of the fabric as the openings of the pillowcases because if I turned the edge in and hemmed it, it would make the pillowcases too small. I added some trim to try and dress up the openings of the pillowcases a little bit. I didn't use anything fancy, I wanted these to be machine washable.

Here is my bed. It's not trendy or fancy but I love to sleep in it and I hate to get out of it in the morning. Are my pillows small and flat? Yes, my neck hurts if I use a fluffy pillow. I have to use one sad flat pillow and that is it. Getting older is the pits!

 Here is a peek at my daughters bed. I made 2 pillowcases for her and 2 for me. I don't know if satin is for everyone. My 5 year old said they were too slippery. I have noticed that my hair is A LOT less tangled in the morning. I think the satin is doing some good.


Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

 ***Chickie's Year End Review-I sleep on these satin pillowcases every night. They really do keep my hair from getting so crazy while I am sleeping. They might be the most useful project of the year.

No comments: