Wednesday, May 1, 2024

One Dress On Top of Another

 Hello Readers. Spring is here and I am so happy it is warm enough to wear dresses without freezing or wearing heavy tights. But some dresses are just too sheer. Or so light weight the blow around in the breeze and expose all your bits and pieces to the world. This happened to me once. #HauntedByTheMemories

 
Two is better than one? In this case yes!
 
These dresses fit well and I love navy. I also love stripes so both of these dresses were perfect for me. But I don't trust white clothes. They always feel see through to me. What if it rains? It's like an accidental wet t-shirt contest. No thank you! The navy dress was so cute but it was a very thin rayon that would blow in the spring breeze and I could flash everyone. Also, no thanks!

What if I wore them together layered on top of each other? The dark colored dress would keep the white dress from being see-through and the white dress would help keep the wind from blowing the skirt up. The only problem was that the white dress was just a little too long to go under the navy dress. It showed at the hem and it looked a little sloppy.
 
  I got my sharpest sewing scissors and cut  about an inch off and...

I gave it a new hem. I turned the edge under by 1/2 inch and stitched it down with a straight stitch on my sewing machine. I used the same color thread that the dress had originally so the new hem would look like it had always been there. The white dress was 1 1/2 inches shorter than before. That would keep it from peeking out at the hemline. If the navy dress had been a little longer, I wouldn't have done this. 
 
The 2 dresses together were not see through and would not be too light weight to stay down when the breeze picked up. I liked it better without the white dress peeking out of the bottom. It looks nice and neat now. 

I love the contrasting stripes showing at the neckline too. Stripes on stripes! Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.







No comments: