Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Dress to Shirt Refashion

 Hello Readers. This shirt was made from a linen dress. It was a pretty dress but it had a terrible nylon lining. Nylon makes me itchy and it's is hot in summer. I am trying to eliminate it from my wardrobe completely. I didn't mind removing the linen from the nylon and using it for something else.

 I love to thrift and when I do I look for fabrics that are unique and catch my eye. I saw this linen dress at a thrift store a few months ago and the fabric was so pretty. I had to bring it home even though I did not know what I was going to do with it yet.

Look at this fabric. It looks like an Impressionist painting. And it is linen. It's going to be great to wear in the heat.

I cut the skirt of the dress off away from the rest of the dress. I thought the skirt of this dress would make a nice shirt. Was there enough fabric? I thought there was just barely enough to make the body of a shirt. 

I used this pattern for the body of my new shirt. It is Vogue #  I cut out the body pieces and did not have enough fabric for the sleeves that were part of this pattern. I was going to make a sleeveless shirt if I had to.

I had 2 little pieces from the hemline of the dress. Could they be little cap sleeves? That was my plan. I pinned the pieces to the armholes to get an idea of how they could fit there. I wanted sleeves if I could figure out a way to make them. I really liked the pleated hemline of the dress. It would look cute at as the sleeves too.

I marked the sleeves with pencil so I knew where to sew the shoulder seam. Pencil washes out so I could mark as much as I needed. These were going to be the smallest little sleeves in the world.

I used my serger to sew the sleeves. Linen frays so this will keep it neat and strong inside. 

I liked my new shirt. It was light weight linen would be great for summer and the colorful flowers were so great for summer too. The very tiny sleeves worked out well. I like them. They balance out the shirt. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.









No comments: