Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Tablecloth to Skirt

 Hello Readers. I found this tablecloth at a thrift store a couple months ago. It was back in winter but I thought the colors would be perfect for spring. I also thought it would be a great refashion project. It was already a perfect circle. It would be a very easy circle skirt.

Before and after.

This table cloth is a perfect circle. It is also the perfect colors for Easter.
 (There are ways to figure out how to cut out circle pieces from normal fabric from the fabric store. I didn't use one of those but you can Google those calculators if you need one.)

I decided to go in blind with no training or planning. This is how I do most things. I am not saying it is the best way but it is what I usually do. I used the tape measure as a way to measure my cut, like a compass. I wanted to cut a curve and this made it easy.

Here is my tablecloth all cut out. The circle in the center for the waist needs to be in the center. If it is not centered, the skirt will be uneven in length. Now, I just need to add an elastic waistband to it. 

I gather the fabric together for the waist I decided to baste it. That means I used very long stitches all around the waist. Those stitches help hold the waist together so I can make sure the fabric is evenly gathered when it is sewn to the elastic. 

I tied off the thread at my waist measurement so the waist would be the right size. 

I cut and stitched the elastic to my waist size too. 

I stitched the elastic to the skirt using a zigzag stitch so the waistband will be able to stretch over my hips to pull it on. Hold on while I iron this....

OK, I am ready for Easter. I didn't change the length of the skirt, the size of the tablecloth determined the length of the skirt but I liked how it turned out. Thanks you for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.












No comments: