Thursday, March 14, 2024

A Shamrock Wrap Shirt

 Hello Readers. St. Patrick's Day is coming and I am mostly Irish so want to be ready. I came across some shamrock fabric at the thrift store and I knew it would be perfect for a this time of year. 

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I have made one of these wrap shirts before. At it's simplest a wrap shirt is just a square with a head hole in the middle. 

For this wrap shirt I made larger sleeves that will be wider and more full. That is why the sleeves are wider than the waist here. 

Here is a better look at the shape of the shirt. That is the head hole in the middle.

I think the best way to cut the shirt is to fold it in fourths so that all the sides can be symmetrical. 

I used bias tape to finish the edges of the sleeves. I sewed the bias tape to the right side of the fabric. 

Then I turned the bias tape under and stitched it again. This hid the cut edge and made it easy to finish the curves of the sleeves. I also used this bias tape on the waist of the front of the shirt. 
 
The front of the shirt wraps around to the back of the body and you can see the bias tape tied there.
 
I cut narrow strips of the fabric to make a waistband for the back of the shirt. I sewed them together and made a long narrow strip of fabric. 
 
I sewed the waist tie to the waist of the shirt and left long ends that I could tie to keep the shirt closed.
 
You can see the long ties hanging from the waist here. 
 
The ties make a cute bow in the front of the shirt and the wide sleeves are so fun. It could be worn with the big bow in back too. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
 
 Erin go braugh!
 

 
 
 
 












No comments: