Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Dress to Tie-Front Top

 Hello Readers. I made some new bedding from clothes and had some left over pieces. I don't like to waste fabric scraps so let me show you my new top that I made from a dress. 

Before and after. 

In my last post I showed the pillowcase I made from this pretty linen dress. I only used the skirt of the dress. So what did I do with the top of the dress?

The first thing I did was remove the lining by unpicking it stitch by stitch. I hate nylon. It is so hot and sweaty. I don't need this lining for my new top. 

I threw the lining away. I couldn't think of a use for this fabric. 

There was a zipper up the back of the dress. I didn't want the zipper so I cut it out of the dress too. 

I folded all the cut edges under and stitched them down. I also used the scraps to make small strips of fabric to use as ties. 
 
I folded these strips of fabric in and stitched them down so the ties would stay folded up.
 
I planned to wear this backwards. It has a boxy shape and it looked about the same either way. The back that had a zipper is now the front with ties to close it. I attached 3 sets of ties and didn't think it looked right. I put elastic through the ends of the sleeves as well. It gives the sleeves a more feminine shape.
 
I added 2 more sets of ties. I like this loose shirt/jacket. It is such a fun color and the linen is going to breath and be comfortable in warmer weather. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
 

 
 









No comments: