Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Working With Faux Suede

 Hello Readers. Have you ever sewn with faux suede? I wasn't sure if it was thick or difficult to sew. I found this skirt and thought it was a great opportunity to find out if I could work with it easily or if it would jam up my sewing machine and break needles. 

Before and after. 

When I saw the skirt I thought it was a great match for these boots that I already had. But the skirt is a size or 2 too big. It didn't have belt loops or anything so it had to be altered. That was a a great chance to see if faux suede was tough to sew through. 

I tried the skirt on inside out. I could see how much I needed to change the waistband this way. I marked it with chalk. 

The material was a little thick and it was a little stiff. I couldn't hold it flat and get it through the sewing machine with only 2 hands. I used clips to make the side seams lay flat. 

The clips held on well and were not in my way. I used a straight stitch to make the new side seam. It wasn't difficult to sew through the skirt but the waistband was thicker and I was careful to go slow and take my time. 

When I was done sewing, I cut the excess fabric off the skirt. 

The new fit is so much better. And it wasn't too difficult to work with this material. I was expecting more difficulty and some broken needles. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.







No comments: