Thursday, February 22, 2024

An Asymetrical Wrap Skirt

 Hello Readers. I made a wrap skirt with an asymmetrical drape on one side. I have seen them and thought I could put one together for myself. 

This wool has been sitting in my sewing stash for a long time. I thought it would be perfect for a wrap skirt. It is a little thicker and heavier since it is wool so it will work well. 

I had more than enough for a skirt and 
 
 I liked the colors.
 
I started by wrapping the fabric around myself to see how wide it was and if it would hang the way I wanted. I was also checking what length I wanted.

I cut the length I wanted and moved it to my dress form. I pinned it to the dress form and wrapped it around the way I wanted it. I wanted excess fabric in front to create that draped effect.

I needed to make some tucks in the waist to improve the fit. I pinned 2 tucks in back and 1 on each side.

I sewed the tucks and I was almost done already. 

I didn't need to make a waistband because I used the selvedge side of the fabric as my waist. The fabric was woven like this and that edge was perfect for the waist.  

I didn't hem the skirt in the traditional way. I pulled the horizontal threads all the way around the hem so I would have a sort of "fringe".

When the fringe was long enough for me, I stitched with a zigzag stitch above the fringe. I thought this would keep it the threads from loosening more over time. I don't know for sure if this was necessary, I was just making all of this up as I went along. (That is how I usually approach sewing, and life!)

I used a large brass pin to secure the outside of the wrap skirt. I liked that because it was easy and because it would be easy to change the fit any time I wore it.

I secured the inside of the skirt with Velcro. I did that so it would be adjustable as well. I could have used a button or hook and eye closure but those would not be as adjustable. 

I liked the drape on the side. It is just a front panel that extends out wider than a normal wrap skirt. This was such an easy skirt to make, and it is so adjustable I know it will always fit me. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.














No comments: