Saturday, March 4, 2023

Using A Coffee Table For Storage

 Hello Readers. Storage is always in short supply at my house. Maybe it is at yours too? I have never heard anyone say that they had too much storage. I was having a problem with toy storage in my family room. I wasn't sure where I could put more toys/kid stuff but I found a way to "make" more space for toy storage with different furniture.

Before and after.

This is the mad chaos we were dealing with everyday. Lego blocks were everywhere! Everyday! There had to be a better way but where could I put them all so that they would be accessible to the kids but out of my walking path? We tried a big toy box but that just got dumped out all over the floor.

I was out for a walk and saw this. (It is actually my neighbors trash.) When I saw that table I had the idea to use it in my family room as a coffee table/Lego table. First I had to get it home. It weighed approximately 300lbs. At least it seemed that way to me. Seriously, it was super heavy. I took it home and gave it a good cleaning. Then I brought it inside.

We picked up all the Lego blocks and I vacuumed. 
 
I measured the shelf under the table so I knew the space I had to work with. I found some cloth bins. I thought cloth would be light weight for kids to move around. But really any bins would work, I just needed something to hold all the Lego bricks. They would hold any kind of toys so whatever you have can go in there. (Barbies, baby toys, games, puzzles, whatever you or your kids are into, just put it all in bins so you don't have to see it.)
 
Will it always be this neat and tidy? Maybe not but now we have a way to clean up and if we have company over we can make the room look more welcoming. In a small space, you have to use every inch and this table with a lower shelf gave me some extra space to use for storage. I wish I had thought of this sooner.

If we had people over for a gathering I can use this table for my guests. It can look like a family room and not a Lego toy explosion. Thanks for reading along, happy organizing to you!

***Year End Update- This was a good solution for a while but my family is a little obsessed with Lego builds and we outgrew this table storage. This would be great for other toy or game storage, we are just hoarding to many Lego blocks for this. New table set up is in the works.


 






No comments: